Re: HTML 5 media type spec and HTML 2, 3.2, 4.x usage

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Dan Connolly wrote:

> > Is this a new problem with the text/html registration in HTML5, or is
> > this a long-standing problem?
>
> It wasn't a problem at all before HTML 5, because each spec for
> text/html pretty much said "all existing HTML standards are fine".

Could you point to the text in the current text/html RFC that does this,
so that I could use that same text in HTML5?

Also, do we want to make pages that trigger quirks mode be conforming,
even if they used to be? Similarly, do we keep pages that use known-bad
features like <font> conforming if they use older DOCTYPEs? Or do we want
to (retroactively) make such pages less conforming, on the basis that it
was a mistake to make them conforming in the first place, or on the basis
that we know better now?