Re: HTML 5 media type spec and HTML 2, 3.2, 4.x usage

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 08:34:37 +0100
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, public-html-comments@w3.org
Dan Connolly wrote:
> It wasn't a problem at all before HTML 5, because each spec for
> text/html pretty much said "all existing HTML standards are fine".
>
> It might not be (much of) a problem in HTML 5 either; I'm not
> sure that "*the HTML syntax* doesn't include doctypes that are widely
> used in documents that conform to HTML 2, 3.2, and 4.x specs and XHTML
> 1.x specs" since Anne helped me find the "obsolete permitted
> DOCTYPE" stuff.

Wait, the doctype is just a small part of the issue.

The main issue (IMHO) is that the proposed re-registration of text/html
can make existing HTML4 documents invalid; for instance, because of the
removal of attributes), and this is something RFC 4288 explicitly forbids:

    Media type registrations may not be deleted; media types that are no
    longer believed appropriate for use can be declared OBSOLETE by a
    change to their "intended use" field; such media types will be
    clearly marked in the lists published by the IANA.

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-9>

Best regards, Julian