Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 15:21:47 -0700
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Jet Villegas W3C <w3c@junglecode.net>, public-html-admin@w3.org, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>, "Tab Atkins, Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On 02/02/2013 08:11 AM, Glenn Adams wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi
>> <mailto:hsivonen@iki.fi>> wrote:
>>

>>     On Feb 1, 2013 10:26 PM, "Glenn Adams" <glenn@skynav.com
>>     <mailto:glenn@skynav.com>> wrote:
>>      > Since I represent a commercial video provider here, I can speak
>>     authoritatively that they are interested in providing services to
>>     the widest array of users in the widest array of platforms, etc.
>>
>>     Yet, in practice, people can observe e.g. Voddler saying that their
>>     licensors (major studios) won't let them target desktop Linux even
>>     though Linux has Flash Player available and they use Flash Player
>>     for DRM on Windows and Mac.
>>
>> On the other hand, I was just speaking with a VP of one of the six major
>> studios yesterday, who assured me that they wished to ensure their
>> content was interoperable on Android and other Linux platforms.
>>

> But no announced, concrete plans?

No, but this studio (and others) are active in the DECE/Ultraviolet (UV)
work, and he expressed hope that support for a UV CDM would be developed
and supported on Android/Linux as well as other OS platforms.

My conclusion is that there is fairly widespread interest in the studios in
having EME move forward.