Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 08:41:32 -0500
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
CC: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Jet Villegas W3C <w3c@junglecode.net>, public-html-admin@w3.org, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>, "Tab Atkins, Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On 02/02/2013 08:11 AM, Glenn Adams wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi
> <mailto:hsivonen@iki.fi>> wrote:
>

>     On Feb 1, 2013 10:26 PM, "Glenn Adams" <glenn@skynav.com
>     <mailto:glenn@skynav.com>> wrote:
>      > Since I represent a commercial video provider here, I can speak
>     authoritatively that they are interested in providing services to
>     the widest array of users in the widest array of platforms, etc.
>
>     Yet, in practice, people can observe e.g. Voddler saying that their
>     licensors (major studios) won't let them target desktop Linux even
>     though Linux has Flash Player available and they use Flash Player
>     for DRM on Windows and Mac.
>
> On the other hand, I was just speaking with a VP of one of the six major
> studios yesterday, who assured me that they wished to ensure their
> content was interoperable on Android and other Linux platforms.

But no announced, concrete plans?

- Sam Ruby,
Speaking as a long time Ubuntu/Linux user