Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 17:55:50 -0500
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
CC: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Jet Villegas W3C <w3c@junglecode.net>, public-html-admin@w3.org, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>, "Tab Atkins, Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On 02/02/2013 05:21 PM, Glenn Adams wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net
> <mailto:rubys@intertwingly.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/02/2013 08:11 AM, Glenn Adams wrote:
>

>         On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi
>         <mailto:hsivonen@iki.fi>
>         <mailto:hsivonen@iki.fi <mailto:hsivonen@iki.fi>>> wrote:
>

>              On Feb 1, 2013 10:26 PM, "Glenn Adams" <glenn@skynav.com
>         <mailto:glenn@skynav.com>
>              <mailto:glenn@skynav.com <mailto:glenn@skynav.com>>> wrote:
>               > Since I represent a commercial video provider here, I
>         can speak
>              authoritatively that they are interested in providing
>         services to
>              the widest array of users in the widest array of platforms,
>         etc.
>
>              Yet, in practice, people can observe e.g. Voddler saying
>         that their
>              licensors (major studios) won't let them target desktop
>         Linux even
>              though Linux has Flash Player available and they use Flash
>         Player
>              for DRM on Windows and Mac.
>
>         On the other hand, I was just speaking with a VP of one of the
>         six major
>         studios yesterday, who assured me that they wished to ensure their
>         content was interoperable on Android and other Linux platforms.
>

>     But no announced, concrete plans?
>

> No, but this studio (and others) are active in the DECE/Ultraviolet (UV)
> work, and he expressed hope that support for a UV CDM would be developed
> and supported on Android/Linux as well as other OS platforms.

I see that statement as being one quite different than your previous
statement.

There is no question that Android is based on Linux.  But as Ubuntu is a
quite popular Linux Distribution, when hearing "Android and other Linux
platforms", I would conclude that it would be highly likely that Ubuntu
would be concluded.  Which would be a significant change.  My experience
with Dish Anywhere and Netflix is that both work on Android but neither
work on Ubuntu (or RedHat or Suse or...).

When I hear "Android/Linux as well as other OS platforms", I hear a
statement that does not address Henri's point.  Many DRM solutions today
work on "Android/Linux as well as other OS platforms"... what Henri was
commenting on was licensors preventing deployment on desktop Linux
operating systems.

> My conclusion is that there is fairly widespread interest in the studios
> in having EME move forward.

That is clear.  It is also clear that there is widespread objections.
The chairs are actively working with W3C Management to determine how
best to proceed.

- Sam Ruby