Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 14:51:14 -0500
To: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi Geoff,

I will be leaving the HTMLWG and accessibility task force shortly as
Judy sent me the link to the form. But before I go I wanted to add to
you're statement:

> Publishers in America have used it extensively in the past and are continuing to use it today as it's the best *available* method to deliver long descriptions to students that need them.

longdesc improves accessibility in practice:

Notably the two sister sites Statistics Canada and Statistique Canada
began consistently using longdesc in "The Daily" publication. "The
Daily" produces statistics on a business-day basis that help Canadians
better understand their country, its population, resources, economy,
society and culture. Please refer to Statistics Canada and Statistique
Canada for detailed evidence.

longdesc is experiencing increased usage in the wild

Take care.