Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 14:51:14 -0500
To: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi Geoff,

I will be leaving the HTMLWG and accessibility task force shortly as
Judy sent me the link to the form. But before I go I wanted to add to
you're statement:

> Publishers in America have used it extensively in the past and are continuing to use it today as it's the best *available* method to deliver long descriptions to students that need them.

longdesc improves accessibility in practice:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Sep/att-0025/comments-mt.html#practice

Notably the two sister sites Statistics Canada and Statistique Canada
began consistently using longdesc in "The Daily" publication. "The
Daily" produces statistics on a business-day basis that help Canadians
better understand their country, its population, resources, economy,
society and culture. Please refer to Statistics Canada and Statistique
Canada for detailed evidence.
http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/ld.html#statcan
http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/ld.html#statcanf

longdesc is experiencing increased usage in the wild
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Sep/att-0025/comments-mt.html#increasedusage

Take care.