Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:18:01 -0700
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
To: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
On Sep 17, 2012, at 2:13 PM, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org> wrote:

> I support it as well.  Publishers in America have used it extensively in the past and are continuing to use it today as it's the best *available* method to deliver long descriptions to students that need them.

Hi Geoff,

I keep hearing this claim, but I haven't seen any evidence of it. I'm not trying to be contrary; I'm genuinely curious to find this evidence that many people speak of, as all of my searching has shown that most publishers can't even be bothered to include @alt text, let alone @longdesc.

Can you point me to any publishers catalog that uses longdesc extensively, frequently? At all? I haven't even found one that uses it rarely.

James