Re: My case for the obsoletion of longdesc (Was: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update)

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:30:55 -0700
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>

On Sep 15, 2012, at 5:49 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> James, in your opinion, is the following perhaps the beginnings of such an approach:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Mar/0268.html

That's one potential approach, yes.

> And if so, do you believe that the Task Force should reconsider the following resolution:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Apr/0003.html

I think that resolution should stand. In my opinion there is high potential for aria-describedat to be an at-risk feature of ARIA 1.1, because to my knowledge it's the only thing currently the on the list for 1.1 that requires major implementation support. The rest of the 1.1 issues are mainly easy-to-add subroles or non-controversial spec clarifications.

James