Re: My case for the obsoletion of longdesc (Was: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update)

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:23:26 -0700
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
To: "public-html-a11y@w3.org Task Force" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
It's come to my attention I only responded to a portion of this message in my first reply.

On Sep 17, 2012, at 1:56 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Also, you did not comment on the link (or interactive content -
> audio/video are not interactive content, per HTML5). Just tested now:
> If I open a link inside that frame, then it opens inside that frame.
> That's lots of things happening behind an image. We have just been
> through a round about whether hidden="" can be used as an accessible
> container, and what the A11Y TF protested on was precisely the
> potential for creating a whole, hidden world that only blind users
> could see - so to speak.

It would seem you’re concerned that activating a link in an iframe would default the frame target to itself. That's a valid concern, but may not be a problem in practice, and there are ways to prevent that accidental behavior. The author could use a target attribute, the user could trigger a "open in new tab" functionality, etc. It may also be appropriate for this page to open links in the same target. In any case, it's something to consider, but I don't think it'd be a concern, so to speak.

James