Re: My case for the obsoletion of longdesc (Was: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:39:26 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, w3c-wai-pf@w3.org
Maciej Stachowiak, Sat, 15 Sep 2012 21:46:47 -0700:
> On Sep 15, 2012, at 7:55 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
>>  However, due to bug 22261 - "Clicking on a non-text
>> input element does not give it focus",[1] Webkit and Chromium suffers
>> from the following: if one opens a longdesc link (e.g. with Webkit
>> based iCab) VoiceOver will start to read from the top of the page
>> instead of from the section where the particular longdesc was situated.
>> Something which takes away lots of flexibility with regard to longdesc.
>> And, in fact, it also impacts regular links as well - it is is real
>> hole in VoiceOver and Webkit's elegance.
>
> I would say this is the responsibility of the implementors of iCab,
> not WebKit or VoiceOver. There is no native support of any kind for
> longdesc in WebKit or in VoiceOver. iCab authors have not reported
> any bugs indicating that they are blocked. And it is my belief that
> iCab can handle this detail by itself.

I have forwarded your view to iCab. It is true that iCab works around a
few bugs as well as issues that the developer disagrees with. So may be
this would be one such issue.

However - and may be this was not sufficient clear in what I said
above: I would say that that bug also affect skip-to links - and all
links where it is important that focus is moved to the target. This
bug, therefore, is a mayor drawback for Webkit keyboard users.
--
leif halvard silli