Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:29:03 +0100
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> There is obviously a possibility to register bugs on all the browsers
> and tools that are doing the wrong thing. Is the likelihood of them
> fixing it high? And how long will it take? Might it be faster to
> introduce something new an untainted?

This is the question! For the sake of argument, if we take it that
@longdesc _has_ actually failed (and that this failure wasn't just the
result of some internal HTML5 politics) and that is why we are having
these discussions in the first place - we need to understand why? This
is vital - as the use cases that originated the need for @longdesc in
the first place still remain and need to be accommodated.

So the questions are:

1) Why did it fail? From the perspective of both the end user experience
and also browser implementation.
2) What can we do to avoid these failures and improve upon a method to
support the original use cases that it was designed to accommodate? The
inception of @longdesc wasn't pulled out of the sky for no good reason.

Before we do this however, we need to consolidate our position
internally. To do this I suggest the partial reinstating of @longdesc
(with warnings is fine with me) and when this is done - effort to gain
some traction amongst friends here that actually moving forward is a
good idea and that we collectively support the re-engineering of a new

Without these simple steps, I strongly feel the energy that will be
dissipated in appeasing what have been previously irreconcilable views
will be utterly divisive and counter productive.