Re: Moving forward with Issue-204

Sam Ruby writes:
> On 06/07/2012 11:26 PM, Janina Sajka wrote:
> >Hello, All:
> >
> >It seems that people are waiting for me to try and move Issue-204
> >forward. Allow me, then, to attempt in this email to cut to the core question that still
> >separates the two Issue-204 CPs as I understand it. Can we, or can we
> >not, agree to spec changes for Sec. 7.1 which will take us to a single
> >CP on Issue-204 and avoid the WBS process? The two CPs in question are,
> >of course:
> >
> >http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Correct_Hidden_Attribute_Section_v3
> >http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/AllowAriaReferHidden
> >
> >While also suggesting more global author warnings, proponents of
> >AllowAriaReferHidden have recently sought "must" requirements (or
> >perhaps only "should" requirements) on user agents as respects
> >Issue-204:
> >
> >http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012May/0128.html
> >http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012May/0129.html
> >
> >The rationale appears to be that to do so is no less burdensome than to
> >create a11y support for canvas:
> >
> >http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012May/0130.html
> >
> >Meanwhile, PF has stated it cannot accept "must" or "should" requirements on user
> >agents in the context of Issue-204:
> >
> >http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012May/0156.html
> >
> >Our concerns are broader than any engineering challenge. Rather, they
> >are very much focused on the lack of demonstrated user benefit. Indeed,
> >they also include concern over anticipated user harm. This was
> >reiterated at the recent F2F and is summarised nicely at:
> >
> >http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012May/0137.html
> >
> >So, since PF cannot accept "must" or "should" requirements on user agents
> >vis a vis Issue-204, can AllowAriaReferHidden accept "may" or "might"
> >language vis a vis user agents?
>
> From the W3C Process[1]: "Dissenters cannot stop a group's work
> simply by saying that they cannot live with a decision"

Except that there are two specs and two WGs involved. We need to work
toward agreement, which is why I've sought to remind us that ARIA is a
PF spec, even as HTML is the HTML-WG's spec. The process concern you
cite above works both ways.

> >My apologies if this question was not evident from my previous postings.
>
> This question was evident, and can certainly be resolved via a survey.

Certainly. But it could also, be addressed directly--which is the point
of my question. I am perplexed and disappointed that my direct appeal is
now diverted.

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
		Email:	janina@rednote.net