Re: Current spec text [Was: longdesc Issue 30 deserves to be resolved]

Hi Janina,

> Laura Carlson writes:
>> * Your delay has also allowed Jonas to work with Ian to incorporate
>> his hidden proposal into the editor's draft. Your delay biases the
>> issue.
>>

> Can you say more on this, or perhaps provide a pointer or two?

Yes, I just did on a reply to the minutes. Basically the delay
allowed time for Jonas' hidden proposal [1] to be incorporate into the
 editor's draft. Jonas had proposed changing the following spec text:

"Elements that are not hidden should not link to or refer to elements
that are hidden."

"Elements that are not hidden should not link to or refer to elements
that are hidden. However, ARIA attributes are exempted from this rule
and are allowed to point to contents inside hidden elements"

Ian changed the editor's draft [2] [3] to say,

"It would be fine, however, to use the ARIA aria-describedby attribute
to refer to descriptions that are themselves hidden. While hiding the
descriptions implies that they are not useful alone, they could be
written in such a way that they are useful in the specific context of
being referenced from the images that they describe."

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://tinyurl.com/82rf7vq
[2] http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=6894&to=6895