Re: Current spec text [Was: longdesc Issue 30 deserves to be resolved]

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 22:38:47 +0100
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, Monika Trebo <mtrebo@stanford.edu>
Laura Carlson, Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:47:32 -0600:

>>> Jonas [ ... ] hidden proposal

> "Elements that are not hidden should not link to or refer to elements
> that are hidden. However, ARIA attributes are exempted from this rule
> and are allowed to point to contents inside hidden elements"
>
> Ian changed the editor's draft [2] [3] to say,
>
> "It would be fine, however, to use the ARIA aria-describedby attribute
> to refer to descriptions that are themselves hidden. While hiding the
> descriptions implies that they are not useful alone, they could be
> written in such a way that they are useful in the specific context of
> being referenced from the images that they describe."

FWIW, this change can be seen as merely a consequence of ARIA itself.
Because ARIA says that @hidden elements will be revealed if e.g.
aria-describedby points to it. I guess it should not affect the
@longdesc Change Proposal that ARIA operates this way.

Note that @aria-describedby makes no difference between hidden via
@hidden and hidden via CSS display:none. And note that links, including
@longdesc links, could - conformingly - be used to point to sections
that have been hidden via CSS display:none. With the CSS :target
selector, they could be revealed. Thus, it is still possible - despite
this change - to use @longdesc in order to link to hidden sections, as
long as the section has been hidden via CSS. This would also be an
advantage of using @longdesc: @longdesc is interactive, whereas e.g.
@aria-describedby is not.
--
Leif H Silli