Re: Text Subteam Minutes for 24 January

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:28:22 -0600
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Cc: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Hi Janina and Judy,

>   Title is at:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/notitlev2
>
>   <Judy> jb: we need to discuss meta generator updated draft input today.
>
>   <Judy> jb: we were supposed to review and discuss draft title attribute issue today; didn't; need to before next week's
>   meeting.
>
>   <MichaelC> Note this change proposal is not yet linked from http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals
>
>   <MichaelC> also missing from http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Accessibility_Change_Proposal_Status
>
>   michael: Noting that neither the HTML-WG nor the TF Wikis correctly point to Title CP v.2
>
>   janina: I'll ask Steve to follow up

I added Steve's title CP v.2 links to the Wiki pages.

[snip]

>   <Judy> js: Philippe I was wondering about Laura's question or
> assertion that Jonas and Ian might in the meantime be
>   working on another approach? Do you have any thoughts about whether
> there might be work going on in the background?

The delay  allowed time for Jonas' hidden proposal [1] to be
incorporate into the  editor's draft. Ian changed the editor's draft
[2] [3] to say,

"The hidden attribute must not be used to hide content that could
legitimately be shown in another presentation... if something is
marked hidden, it is hidden from all presentations, including, for
instance, screen readers..."

It goes on to say,

"It would be fine, however, to use the ARIA aria-describedby attribute
to refer to descriptions that are themselves hidden. While hiding the
descriptions implies that they are not useful alone, they could be
written in such a way that they are useful in the specific context of
being referenced from the images that they describe."

[1] http://tinyurl.com/82rf7vq
[2] http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=6894&to=6895
[3] http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/editing.html#the-hidden-attribute