Re: Minutes Re: agenda: HTML-A11Y Task Force, 08 February at 16:00Z

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:42:39 +1100
To: Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>
Cc: public-html-a11y@w3.org
Just some feedback on the media topic.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org> wrote:
> Minutes of the 9 February HTML Accessibility Task Force meeting are posted
> to http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html and copied below.
> issue-194: media transcript (John)
> jf: there are two methods to pursue
> <scribe missed details>
> not sure whether to submit one, both as alternatives, what
> js: both would work and we don't have preference between them, right?
> jf: right, we need programmatic link to transcripts
> can be done with @kind or with a new attribute
> <scribe> new attribute might have more resistance
> ms: discussed in media sub-team?
> js: not recently
> there has been pushback on new values for @kind
> ms: should get others to support an approach and contribute to the CP

A transcript that is time-aligned and could be provided through a
<track> element with @kind would currently be regarded as @metadata,
which would be sufficient.

However, the bug that created that issue is about a non-time-aligned
transcript - something that somebody can read without having to watch
the video at the same time. It's a textual replacement for the video
that explains everything that the video contains. Currently we can
only link that to the video via a separate link on the page. It would
be nice if it was raised as soon as you tab onto the video when using
a screenreader.