W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > February 2012

Minutes Re: agenda: HTML-A11Y Task Force, 08 February at 16:00Z

From: Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 23:01:26 -0500
Message-ID: <4F349696.9060204@w3.org>
To: public-html-a11y@w3.org
Minutes of the 9 February HTML Accessibility Task Force meeting are
posted to http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html and copied
below.


  HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference


    09 Feb 2012

Agenda
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0040.html>

See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-irc>


    Attendees

Present
    Cooper, Janina_Sajka, John_Foliot, Rich, Mike, paulc, Cynthia_Shelly
Regrets
    Steve_Faulkner, Laura_Carlson
Chair
    Mike_Smith
Scribe
    MichaelC, MikeSmith


    Contents

    * Topics <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#agenda>
         1. When to file change proposals?
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item01>
         2. Reminder of the Deadline for reopen requests based on New
            Information
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item02>
         3. Meta name generator
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item03>
         4. issue-192: title attribute (Steve)
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item04>
         5. issue-193: remove CSS example (Steve)
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item05>
         6. issue-194: media transcript (John)
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item06>
         7. issue-199: ARIA-attribute processing requirements (MichaelC)
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item07>
         8. issue-201: canvas fallback (Frank)
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item08>
         9. issue-202: figcaption word-count (Judy)
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item09>
        10. issue-131 caret selection notification
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item10>
        11. April face-to-face meetings for HTML and WebApps
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item11>
        12. Text alternatives
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item12>
    * Summary of Action Items
      <http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

<trackbot> Date: 09 February 2012

<MikeSmith>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0063.html

<MichaelC> agenda:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0040.html

<MichaelC> scribe: MichaelC


      When to file change proposals?

<paulc> Paul indicated that anyone with a change proposal they are
working on should definitely file what they by the on time date.

<paulc> There note should if possible indicate if there are any areas
they plan to continue to work on so that other WG member know if the CP
is complete or not.

<paulc> The Chairs are especially willing to see CPs evovle in the face
of input and/or discussion on the email list.


      Reminder of the Deadline for reopen requests based on New Information

<MikeSmith>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0063.html

ms: important to be aware of the deadlines in the above mail


      Meta name generator

js: TF approved Steve's change proposal

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposal/meta_name=generator_does_not_make_missing_alt_conforming

Leif has put out another one

ms: note some of the reopen requests need to be refined further

<scribe can't find pointer to Leif's CP>

there will be a preliminary review for well formedness of CPs

need to be prepared to respond quickly to issues raised


      issue-192: title attribute (Steve)

-> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/notitlev2 Updated
title attribute CP from Steve

<note this is tagged to HTML-ISSUE-80, not HTML-ISSUE-192>

<MikeSmith> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/notitle_reality

js: this is a reconsideration request for HTML-ISSUE-80

ms: finding above CP as well

mc: think this is and OBE version but it's unclear

ms: think Steve is on top of pushing the CP to the HTML WG

js: important so will ping

js; has been reviewed by text sub-team, just editorial edits now


      issue-193: remove CSS example (Steve)

ms: no CP available?

js: on Steve's plate, don't recall due date

issue was that markup in example was not a11y friendly

ms: so naive user might get misled even though it's informative

<MikeSmith> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html

due 15 February 2012


      issue-194: media transcript (John)

jf: there are two methods to pursue

<scribe missed details>

not sure whether to submit one, both as alternatives, what

js: both would work and we don't have preference between them, right?

jf: right, we need programmatic link to transcripts

can be done with @kind or with a new attribute

<scribe> new attribute might have more resistance

ms: discussed in media sub-team?

js: not recently

there has been pushback on new values for @kind

ms: should get others to support an approach and contribute to the CP


      issue-199: ARIA-attribute processing requirements (MichaelC)

<MikeSmith> scribe: MikeSmith

<MichaelC> ARIA processing CP
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIA_Processing>

MichaelC: view is that this CP is to clarify how to do lexical
processing of ARIA in HTML
... it copies info from elsewhre
... says what the syntax of the value of the role attribute is
... and some additional conformance requirements, then how to process it
... similiarly, for state and property attributes
... So I believe that should clarify the lexical processing requirements
for ARIA

<scribe> scribe: MichaelC


      issue-201: canvas fallback (Frank)

rs: expect Frank to have a CP by this weekend

<richardschwerdtfe> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Canvas_hit_testing

due 16 Feb

ms: also need to move that to the HTML wiki


      issue-202: figcaption word-count (Judy)

js: believe Judy still hopes to get this in

it's a nice-to-have, not essential

so if it's not in, we'll be ok

ms: would be nice to get it done so it's not hanging

<richardschwerdtfe>
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/FocusRingTextBaseline


      issue-131 caret selection notification

<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/FocusRingTextBaseline>
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/FocusRingTextBaseline%3E>

<richardschwerdtfe>
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/CaretSelectionRevised

rs: these are two canvas proposals

not alternatives, they work together to solve the problems

also think current state for focus ring isn't satisfactory yet

item 24 = April face-to-face meetings for HTML and WebApps


      April face-to-face meetings for HTML and WebApps

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0057.html

ms: there's a proposal to have meetings between WebApps and HTML in
Silicon Valley 10 - 13 April 2012

question is whether this TF should meet then also

<MikeSmith>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012JanMar/thread.html#msg549

TF could meet on Monday 9 April, Saturday 14 April, or overlap with
WebApps on 10 - 11 April

mc: can poll for a) support a FtF this year, b) support joining this
batch of meetings, c) specific dates in that week preferred?

js: want to know about agenda

mc: picks up on some TPAC discussion about Web performance

also some API work, that's not currently in HTML but affects it

pc: HTML also needs to start thinking of what's next in HTML

<MikeSmith> related to HTML.next - http://www.w3.org/html/wg/next/markup/

js: makes sense for these meetings to take place

<MikeSmith> stuff that will be going into WebApps charter -
http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/CharterChanges#Additions_Agreed

pc: FtF at last TPAC was considered valuable

would run the HTML portion of this un-conference style

js: PF would be interested in this stuff anyways

value in TF joining in the forwards thinking

pc: also in poll should point out nearby religious holidays


      Text alternatives

mc: have a change proposal that functions as part of a reopen request
for HTML-ISSUE-31, but don't feel confident in it

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/Text_Alternatives_Ownership

js: Steve is working on another aspect that is more important

need to decide what to do with these in the next day and half

<scribe> meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force


    Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl
<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm>
version 1.136 (CVS log <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2012/02/09 17:07:15 $

------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 

Michael Cooper
Web Accessibility Specialist
World Wide Web Consortium, Web Accessibility Initiative
E-mail cooper@w3.org <mailto:cooper@w3.org>
Information Page <http://www.w3.org/People/cooper/>
Received on Friday, 10 February 2012 04:01:26 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:53 GMT