W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > May 2011

Minutes HTML A11Y TF 26 May 2011

From: Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 12:17:23 -0400
Message-ID: <4DDE7D13.6010906@w3.org>
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Minutes of the 26 May 2011 HTML Accessibility Task Force meeting are
posted to http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-html-a11y-minutes.html and copied
below.


  HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference


    26 May 2011

Agenda
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0567.html>

See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-html-a11y-irc>


    Attendees

Present
    Cynthia_Shelly, Eric, JF, Janina_Sajka, Judy, Lynn_Holdsworth,
    Marco_Ranon, Michael_Cooper, Mike, Rich_Schwerdtfeger,
    Steve_Faulkner, Unknown
Regrets
    Paul_Cotton
Chair
    Mike_Smith
Scribe
    MikeSmith, Marco_Ranon


    Contents

    * Topics <http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-html-a11y-minutes.html#agenda>
         1. Last Call update
            <http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-html-a11y-minutes.html#item01>
         2. Sub-team reports
            <http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-html-a11y-minutes.html#item02>
    * Summary of Action Items
      <http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-html-a11y-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

<janina> trackbot start meeting

<trackbot> Date: 26 May 2011

<MikeSmith> http://www.w3.org/2011/05/html5lc-faq.html

<MikeSmith> scribe: MikeSmith


      Last Call update

<scribe> scribenick: Marco_Ranon

<MikeSmith> scribe: Marco_Ranon

<MikeSmith> http://www.w3.org/2011/05/html5lc-faq.html

MS: LC has been annouced with several informational documents and a FAQ

<MikeSmith>
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110525/#status-of-this-document

MS: a lot of details about issues and FOs
... those issues in the status sections are open at time of application,
but there are links to all the others
... also a link to TF work
... (reading the text from the specs)

<janina> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Work_Topics

JB: there were concerns about going LC ion the TF
... we agreed that current accessibility concerns would be highlighted
in this LCWD, and that improvements on those could be highlighted in
some manner in updated working drafts
... there should be better coordination between chairs and TF to help
address pending issues within the HTML WG decision process and the TF
consensus process
... it would be useful to bring to the TF some discussion about the process.
... JB: it would be useful to encourage external reviewers to provide
additional use cases to help the decision process
... in addition, we want to be careful about the WG and TF consensus
prcess. Janina and I will look more carefully into issues with process
and make sure we meet timelines
... we could ask questions to chairs in a Q/A session in a near future

MS: i've commeted to take action personally and support improving
Bugzilla's accessibility
... we could upgrade to v4, but not an easy task. We need to make the
entire UI more accessible
... at least the submission of bugs should be made more accessible.
... the comment list can be used and a bug will be semi-automatically
generated

JS: who is interested in looking into the TF process and how we fit in
the WG?

CS: yes depending on the time

JB: this is process review looking into how to deal with accessibility
issues and also the TF processes need to be updated

JF: i can help

JB: another thing is a potential offer by a technical editor with help
writing CPs

MS: that's very important

<Zakim> MikeSmith, you wanted to reaffirm that one thing that has become
clear is that we subteams have been particularly effective

JF: Media sub-team


      Sub-team reports

JF: we discussed "clean audio"

JS: we put on hold the clean audio discussion until we understand it better
... looking for help from outside the TF, if you have contacts please help
... no wiki page on clean audio but good email chain

<JF> +q

JF: about poster alt, we are looking into impact on ARIA and ARIA.next
... should we introduce new roles?

RS: i think we should have a small set in ARIA to fix holes in HTML5

<JF> Rich, here's the email:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0559.html

RS: we are going through CR with ARIA, so we can start looking into new
features

JB: text subteam report
... Laura has already made an additional requested edit to the @longdesc
CP; we may have an offer of help on this or others from a technical editor
... @title, meta-generator, role=presentation are coming along
... some disagreement on whether there is new info on figcaption
... table @summary is in GJR hands, some more work required
... table @border has been surfaced recently and should be in text subteam

<JF> +q

JB: where should the text alternatives document it's still under
discussion. interesting comments in the LC poll

JF: the text alternative document was created to complement the poor
guidance in the specs

SF: it was created because we couldn't get the specs changed, due to
different views on the issue by the editor
... documet mirrors conformance requirements in HTML with WCAG advice
for correct text alternative

<Zakim> judy, you wanted to speak to the issue of organizing ourselves
within the critical timelines during last call, to make sure that all of
our issues are fully addressed.

JB: we should coordinate to make sure that all issues are addressed
within the timeline
... for next week call we need to plan a review and make sure that we
have a process in the TF

JS: we need to coordinate also with WCAG

MS: LC is an opportunity to review the specs and make sure that all
accessibility issues are identified

RS: Canvas subgroup
... now we have a draft and we are identifying the gaps
... we need the ability to do hit testing, which is the big thing left out

<MikeSmith> just want to say that the hit-testing feature is something
that's very much an instance of the curb-cut analogy

RS: we are making progress, just need the hit testing done to ensure
good accessibility in Canvas

MS: a lot of issues trying to implement hit testing but not impossible.
implementors are trying to resolve the issue but it might take time
... it's a big shortcoming for game developers and they want
implementors to resolve it
... i want to help personally and it should be made a priority

RS: on vacation for two weeks though

SF to scribe next week

<MikeSmith> Stevef will scribe next week

<MikeSmith> adjourend

<MichaelC> trackbot, end meeting


    Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl
<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm>
version 1.136 (CVS log <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2011/05/26 16:15:37 $


-- 

Michael Cooper
Web Accessibility Specialist
World Wide Web Consortium, Web Accessibility Initiative
E-mail cooper@w3.org <mailto:cooper@w3.org>
Information Page <http://www.w3.org/People/cooper/>
Received on Thursday, 26 May 2011 16:17:54 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:38 GMT