Re: Consensus on longdesc change proposal

Thanks, Laura, for making some of the changes that I suggested.

Actually, I want to discuss another question - one that will likely be
core to the discussion with Jonas' proposed change proposal.

The longdesc change proposal says in the section on "Suggested
Alternatives Are Not Viable Solutions" about aria-describedby:

"aria-describedby kills off links: ARIA 1.0 specifies that anything
that aria-describedby points to is presented to the user as if it
occurred inside an attribute. Hence, if aria-describedby points to an
element which is - or contains - a link, the link will be completely
dead - the AT won't even inform the user about the link presence. "
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc/AlternativesAreNotViableSolutions#aria-describedby

I believe from recent discussions that ARIA specifies no such thing,
but just that this is just the way in which screenreaders have
implemented support for aria-describedby. Also, IIUC it is an
intention that screenreaders should be changed, in particular that
they should provide links and change the language model if a @lang
attribute is given in a section linked to by aria-describedby.

It might be good to discuss this.