Re: Call for consensus on longdesc change proposal

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 10:17:31 +0100
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, Denis Boudreau <dboudreau@webconforme.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi all,

A couple of quick things.

Sylvia said:

> However, I'm reacting to this statement being used as an argument for
> the re-introduction to @longdesc:
>
> "It is unlikely that many content creators or developers will learn
> ARIA (something not native HTML). They already feel like they've
> learned far more than they should have to know under their job
> description. And in many cases, their supervisors agree. (reference
> Cliff Tyllick)"
>
> I think this statement does nothing to help the cause and quoting it
> as an argument to introduce @longdesc is harmful. That's all.

While harmful may be a little strong, I would be inclined to agree.
While I agree with Laura that the comment is indicative of the reality
of web dev for many, it could be counterprductive. I guess it's
relatively trivial to remove or put somewhere else? We also don't want
ARIA to be percieved as the 'poor second cousin' to HTML 5, and a
comment like that kinda implies it.

Regarding ariadescribedat, while this is a good idea - it is down the
road in terms of implementation etc. @longdesc can ref a semantically
rich URI, is good for backwards compat, is a bumpy cowpath but not a
precedent and so on so while I also very much support ARIA - there is
currently no functional equivalent within HTML 5, hence my support for
Lauras CP and @longdesc in general.

So right now, to my mind its not enough to say - lets do it with ARIA.

Cheers

Josh