Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video (and using ARIA)

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 11:51:29 +0200
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
I think we're most likely to resolve this question with some good examples; we seem mostly in agreement on the technical needs:

* short 'alt' text for media elements
* long description
* transcript

As I said before, all of these are a-temporal; they should remain true no matter whether you're considering the initial image or the video attached.  Example: a sighted user seeing the 'trailer green screen' will probably understand that a trailer is involved:

but

<video ... alt="The following preview has been approved for Appropriate Audiences by the MPAA" ... src="Theleopardtrailer.mov" ...  />

would, IMHO, be quite unhelpful.  It doesn't say anything at all about what the sighted user could learn from the entire resource!

David Singer

Screen_shot_2011-05-16_at_11.48.48_.png
(image/png attachment: Screen_shot_2011-05-16_at_11.48.48_.png)