Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video (and using ARIA)

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 09:50:52 +1000
To: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Cc: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Jared Smith <jared@webaim.org>, "E.J. Zufelt" <everett@zufelt.ca>
Some more dimensions / issues to look at as discussed in today's call.

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 3:43 AM, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu> wrote:
> I suggest as a start on listing the dimensions of interest that we
> should discuss we have the following:
>
> * graphical browser / text-only browser: i.e. is the video element visible?
>  This can be identified through the display of all HTML content
> inside the <video> element.

This should be separated from the fallback case for legacy browsers
that don't support the <video> element.

> * video player design (as per Everett's suggestion): i.e. is it the
> native browser player or something custom
>  This can be identified through the absense of the @controls attribute.
>
> * presence of a representative frame?
>  This can be identified through the absence of the @autoplay attribute.
>
> * presence of a short video description on the page?
>  This would be represented through the presence of a video text title
> on the page.
>
> * presence of a video summary on the page?
>  This would be represented through a description/summary of the video
> content on the page.
>
> * presence of a full-text transcript of the video content on the page
> or on a different page?
>  This would be represented through a (possibly interactive and
> possibly timed) transcript on the page or on a different page.
>
> * presence of a short poster summary on the page?
>  This would be represented through the presence of a poster title on the page.
>
> * presence of a long poster description on the page?
>  This would be represented through a description/summary of the
> poster content on the page.

Separate out existence / non-existence of text alternative on page.

In summary: if there is imagery on the page we need a means to provide
a short and a long description of it.

Note that defining these dimensions doesn't mean that each one of them
needs a separate solution.

Cheers,
Silvia.