Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video (and using ARIA)

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 17:21:00 -0700
Cc: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>

On May 11, 2011, at 17:13 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

>> I think the point is that the poster and the aria-label are both about the video (they are peers) so it might be better to say
>>
>>  <video poster="media/ClockworkOrangetrailer.jpg" controls
>>        aria-label="A Clockwork Orange movie trailer">
>

> I think that would be wrong. The sighted user doesn't gather from the
> placeholder frame that it is a movie trailer.

They do when they watch the movie, and the label is on the *video*, not on the poster frame.

> I'm barely trying to go there, but .. maybe we should call this
> @posteralt

I don't think we should have alt for the poster.  The poster is there as a substitute for an often-boring (e.g. black) first frame, that's all.

It's the video we need to provide alternatives for, for the non-sighted user.

David Singer