Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video (and using ARIA)

On 12/05/2011, at 4:30 AM, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

> Hi, All:
>
> Editing in order to focus specifically on transcripts ...
>
> Silvia Pfeiffer writes:
>>>
>>> One potential use case not captured here is the case where we have the
>>> 'better' structural navigation we've talked about (but not yet spec'd),
>>> such as 'chapters' and/or sub-chapters that users could skip to - each of
>>> those 'chapter points' could/would have a default 'still' that we should
>>> address as well. We discussed this very briefly at the face-to-face in
>>> March.
>>

>> That is actually time-aligned information and already solved with the
>> type "chapters" in the TextTrack API. Naomi from Google is actually
>> giving a demo at Google I/O about this this week. It is not the target
>> of this discussion, so any feature changes/addition to  "chapters"
>> should be discussed in a different thread. I don't want to side track
>> this discussion here. There is already enough to discuss here.
>

> I believe it is very much relevant inasmuch as the text transcript
> should also support navigation.
>
> To put it otherwise, the existence of a transcript should not preclude
> viewing of the video or auditioning of the audio. It is not a case of
> either you consume the media or you consume the transcript. We need to
> support both, time aligned.
>
> This is why I don't think the approach of a pointer to the transcript in
> a context menu--as an attribute on the main element makes sense. It
> doesn't meet the transcript use case, as I understand it.
>
> Perhaps we need to clarify the use case for transcript?

Looks like it. :)

What you are talking about doesn't need new markup. It is already possible and done many times over with text sitting near the video element that is marked up for navigation. TED talks expose this feature and YouTube videos have it, too - where a transcript is available. It should be the recommended way to provide transcripts on the video page and I have it as part of a set of 'best practices' that I am collecting.

The problem we are dealing with for @transcript is for deaf-blind users and for browsers that cannot render any audio or video. And then more generally everyone who doesn't care to watch the video but quickly wants to scan the transcript.

Hope this helps.