Re: Moving longdesc forward: Recap, updates, consensus

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group

Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote on 05/05/2011 12:09:33
PM:

> From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
> To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Charles
> McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-
> iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
> <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>,
> Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Steve Faulkner
> <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>
> Date: 05/05/2011 12:10 PM
> Subject: Moving longdesc forward: Recap, updates, consensus
>
> Hello Ben, Leif, Geoff, Rich, Chaals, Steve, and Everyone,
>
> Thanks to everyone who has participated in the "Moving longdesc
> forward" thread [1].
>
> For reference the latest longdesc drafts that we have been working on
> are 10.6.1 User Agent rendering and  4.8.1 The img element.
>
> 10.6.1 USER AGENT RENDERING (informative)
> http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/ld-rendering.html
>
> I have updated the 10.6.1 User Agent rendering draft trying to
> incorporate Chaals suggestion to add info on real world
> implementations and Leif's suggestion to add info on iCab's
> contextual-menu cursor. Is it okay?
>
> Rich, as Ben pointed out the 10.6.1 rendering section of the spec is
> informative not normative. But the text in 4.8.1 is normative. 4.8.1
> reads: "User agents should allow users to access long text
> alternatives." Can you live with that?

I could although I do think it has mainstream benefits. Should we push for
this to be a MUST and accept a SHOULD if it is not acceptable to browser
manufacturers?
My concern is that if we make it a SHOULD we remove the argument that there
are mainstream benefits from longdesc.

> Rich, I had added text for when the long description dialog is closed
> per your suggestion in 10.6.1. It read:
> dialog is closed a user agent is expected to return the user's point
> of regard to the element within the document where the user left
> off.</ins></p>
> Then I read Ben's reply to you:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0058.html
> Rich, If you want something added like this do you think you can work
> with Ben to take his comments into consideration and suggest text that
>  you think we all can live with? We would probably need an example to
> fit with the rest of the page too. Thanks.

I am at a WAI-PF Face to Face meeting at Apple working to get ARIA through
CR. I see Ben is on the CC list. It is important that we do not disorient
the user by leaving them at a location that is inconsistent with where they
left off. WCAG 2 has similar requirements for authors So, integrating Ben's
comments:

is closed a user agent must return the user's point of regard to the
element within the document where the user left off by following the <a
href="http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/history.html#traverse-the-history

Ben, does this work for you?