Re: [text] HTML-A11Y Text, Tues 20 Dec, 2011, 17:00 Z, (1PM Eastern), 60 min

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:00:18 -0600
To: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Hi Judy,

Regrets due to work conflict.

> longdesc survey timing

Thanks for including this topic on the agenda. The sooner longdesc is
included in HTML5 the better. The process of reinstating longdesc has
taken a very along time:

* On  February 22, I submitted my proposal to reopen HTML-ISSUE-30.  [1]

* On March 2, 2011, the Chair's reopened HTML-ISSUE-30 [2]

* On May 16, 2011, my proposal was stabilized and the accessibility task
force endorsed it.  It has been ready for the HTML working group
survey since that date. [3]

* On November 29, 2011, Paul said that the Chairs estimated that they
would be finished reviewing proposals on Dec 11, 2011. [4]

* On December 15, 2011, Maciej said, "we've reviewed one of the change
proposals review of jonas' proposal is almost ready to go we hope the
final review will be out before the holiday break". [5]

The issue deserves due process. It deserves to be resolved. It is an
unnecessary atrocity on authors and users with disabilities for
longdesc not to be included in HTML5. Please,  no more delays, let's
have the survey and get longdesc back in the language.

Thank you.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0362.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Mar/0015.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011May/0170.html