Re: Some spec comments (to .xsl or not to .xsl?) (#issue-whichlangs, #issue-conformance-labels)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Dan Connolly wrote:

> I can't tell if you're serious or not. In case you are...

I was..

> The spec currently (1.226) says
>
> "A GRDDL-aware agent should... Find each transformation... Apply each
> transformation..."
> so yes, it has a SHOULD-level obligation to apply the javascript; meanwhile,
> that bit of the spec
> follows "Subject to ... local policy as expressed in its configuration ..."
> and it's pretty
> clear to me that "I don't do javascript" is a reasonable policy, especially
> given
> our position on #issue-whichlangs...

Since the idea of a 'local policy' is pretty loose (theoretically, one
such policy could be to *not* apply *any* transforms at all) does it
render the conformance label moot - as it is currently written?  Consider
that such a policy would result in 'no' GRDDL result(s) for an IR which is *supposed* to have one
or more.

> "Developers of transformations should make available representations in
> widely-supported formats. XSLT version 1[XSLT1]
> <http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#XSLT1> is the format most widely
> supported by GRDDL-aware agents as of this writing, though though
> XSLT2[XSLT2] <http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#XSLT2> deployment is
> increasing. While technically Javascript, C, or virtually any other
> programming language may be used to express transformations for GRDDL, XSLT
> is specifically designed to express XML to XML transformations and has some
> good safety characteristics."
> -- http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#txforms

This is a pretty clear health warning IMHO.  It is the conformance
mandate that confuses things, it seems, as they are applied within the
context of open-ended policies.

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery