Re: GRDDL and HTML5

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 23:20:13 +0100
Cc: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, public-grddl-comments@w3.org
To: "Danny Ayers" <danny.ayers@gmail.com>

On Aug 25, 2008, at 10:04 PM, Danny Ayers wrote:

> 2008/8/25 Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>:
>>
>> On Aug 25, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I understand that the RDF community believes
>>
>> No, please, that should *not* be your takeaway. I think I'm a card
>> carrying
>> RDF community member and I certainly don't believe what follows. I
>> think
>> it's a bit controversial, actually. (One of the things that drives
>> me,
>> personally, nuts is the line that RDF is designed for "Follow you
>> nose"
>> discovery, etc. I don't think it's particularly so designed and I
>> don't
>> think "follow your nose" is a great thing, by and large.)
>
> Just for the record,

? It's clear that the pro message got through. I'm pointing out
there's a con message.

> I think "follow your nose" is the best bit of the
> Web, because it allows me to discover new things, related to the
> information I have at hand.

I don't want to get into a big debate about this. I'll just point out
that behaviors while surfing the web don't necessarily work for
everything.

> Drop links, where is the Web?

Links != follow your nose. Encouraging people to dereference (or to
write software that dereferences) things like namespaces has turned
out not to be such a great idea and, arguably, isn't necessary or
helpful.

Cheers,
Bijan.