Re: GRDDL and HTML5

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the development of HTML5 we have made a simplification to the language
> that should help GRDDL usage be somewhat simpler: We have made the
> profile="" attribute on <head> unnecessary to declare new metadata
> keywords.
>
> This means that GRDDL can now be simplified to not require an explicit
> declaration of profile="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view" before making
> the rel="transformation" keyword meaningful for GRDDL.

I would encourage GRDDL implementers to think and talk about this and,
if so inclined, try implementing it, and I'd recommend everyone keep
their comments on this list, and at the end of the week, and if there's
no comments by the end of the week,  I'll put my personal opinion
forward in more detail. But in brief...

Unfortunately GRDDL is already a REC, but if implementers all manage to
get away from using profile, when HTML5 becomes a REC perhaps there
would be a possibility of an errata or W3C Note on this, with a pointer
to relevant implementations/test-cases.

I assume the concern would actually be from the microformat world, since
this puts all microformat "names" (or any metadata keyword it appears)
on various elements in the same global (or null, depending on how you
look at it) namespace. I do think this rather pragmatic, as profile is
often not used in microformats in the wild. The question is one of
upholding norms or codifying existing practice, even if existing
practice may have problems down the road.

I am on vacation next week, e-mail checking will be erratic at best.

       thanks,
          harry