GRDDL and HTML5

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 22:02:44 +0000 (UTC)
To: public-grddl-comments@w3.org

Hello,

In the development of HTML5 we have made a simplification to the language
that should help GRDDL usage be somewhat simpler: We have made the
profile="" attribute on <head> unnecessary to declare new metadata
keywords.

This means that GRDDL can now be simplified to not require an explicit
declaration of profile="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view" before making
the rel="transformation" keyword meaningful for GRDDL.

It also means that GRDDL can be simplified to not require that
transformations look for a profile="" before making the class names
supported. For example, an hCard document now no longer needs a profile=""
attribute declared, instead the class="vcard" keyword always has meaning.
Thus, a GRDDL transformation for hCard no longer needs to be predicated on
the profile="" attribute containing the right incantation.

This is only relevant for HTML5 documents, and HTML5 won't be a REC for
many years yet, so there is no rush here. This change doesn't affect HTML4
documents. (Although, I would recommend making the change for HTML4
document as well, since many authors already omit the profile="" attribute
anyway.)

Cheers,