Re: GRDDL and HTML5

From: Daniel O'Connor <daniel.oconnor@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:32:29 +0930
To: public-grddl-comments@w3.org
Cc: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
> It also means that GRDDL can be simplified to not require that
>> transformations look for a profile="" before making the class names
>> supported. For example, an hCard document now no longer needs a profile="" h
>> attribute declared, instead the class="vcard" keyword always has meaning.
>> Thus, a GRDDL transformation for hCard no longer needs to be predicated on
>> the profile="" attribute containing the right incantation.

Real world microformat usage - barely anyone bothers with the profile
attribute. I've gotten used to explicitly adding profiles/transformations to
seek out hcard/hcal/etc data.

That being said, it would kind of scare me to have to do a layer of doctype
checking (or however else is recommended to tell the difference between html
4, 5, xhtml, etc) to determine if I should just assume certain profiles are
implied.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable keeping it as something explicit which I
instruct the GRDDL client to do.