Re: Comments on GRDDL (using 3rd-party XML schemas with GRDDL) [OK?]

Hi Dan,

The WGs believes that the specification supports both the use of schema
documents that are retrievable from the namespace name and schema
documents that are pointed to from the document itself. We do not believe
that there a provision for using other schema documents (e.g. schema
documents retrieved from a local repository).  If this capability is not
provided, then we believe that this should be mentioned in the
specification.

                                                -- Andrew

--------------------
Andrew Eisenberg
IBM
4 Technology Park Drive
Westford, MA  01886

andrew.eisenberg@us.ibm.com
Phone: 978-399-5158    Fax: 978-399-7012

Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Sent by: w3c-xsl-query-request@w3.org
05/01/2007 04:36 PM

Andrew Eisenberg/Concord/IBM@IBMUS
cc
public-grddl-comments@w3.org, w3c-xsl-query@w3.org
Subject

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 03:48 -0400, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:

> The XML Query WG and XSL WG have reviewed GRDDL [1] and offer the
> following comments:

[...]
> 2) Not all schema documents are retrievable by content negotiation
> from the namespace name. How do you use such a schema, e.g. a schema
> written by someone who does not own the namespace?

I just realized I might have misunderstood your comment when
composing my earlier reply.

One way to use 3rd-party schemas is to point from the source document
directly to a transformation, as in a case[2] recently mentioned
by a GRDDL WG member:

<ns1:POLICIES xmlns:ns1="http://www.sil.org/~simonsg/metaschema/gold#"
xmlns:grddl='http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#'
grddl:transformation="
http://iama.rrecktek.com/~rreck/Hopi_ms.xml_interpreter.xsl">

The transformation is developed by rrecktek.com, but the
namespace is owned by sil.org.

I wonder if you find that sufficiently responsive to your comment?

> [1] Gleaning Resource Descriptions from Dialects of Languages (GRDDL)
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-grddl-20070302/

[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-grddl-wg/2007May/0002.html

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E