Re: RDF Data Cube validator. Problem with one integrity constraint: IC-12

Hi Jose,

Finally found time to look at this, sorry for the delay.

Short answer:

The data is incorrect (or at least incomplete) but in ways that the
official integrity checks don't spot. The on line tool does use a
different implementation of IC-12 (to avoid the scaling problem with the
sparql query) that accidentally picks up the problem.

Details:

You have a number of qb:Observations which say they are in the data set
dataset:Computation.

However dataset:Computation is not defined anywhere and in particular
does not have an associated qb:structure.

The rule IC-12 checks for duplicate observations for which the value of
every declared dimension is the same. In the case where no dimensions
are apparently declared the official IC-12 SPARQL query will pass by
default because it never finds any duplicate observation values. The
hand coded more efficient version in the validator sees multiple
observations in the same data set which don't differ by any dimensions.
Essentially a difference how the null case is treated.

This does reveal a limitation of the integrity checks.

The rules check that every qb:Observation has a qb:dataSet value and
that every declared qb:DataSet has a qb:structure but doesn't catch the
case where there a qb:DataSet is implicitly used but not declared. That
is a limitation of the simplified closure algorithm.

The WG will need to consider what to do about that.

Thanks for the report.

Dave