Re: Mask property syntax and CSS <image>

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:54:54 -0700
To: Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com>
Cc: public-fx@w3.org
On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One further thought based on our discussion of element(). We discussed that
> we want to be able to use masks without requiring the <mask> wrapper, e.g.
>
>   <rect id="rect" ... />
>   <path mask="url(#rect)" ... />
>
> I wonder if it's useful to say that, in order to refer to SVG fragments in
> this way you must use the element() syntax. i.e. the url() syntax is only
> for <mask>s and other SVG elements which we treat specially, rather than
> just rendering them to a buffer (like paint servers).

I assumed that was the intention, yes.  The "child" and "select()"
syntaxes were to be for selecting <mask> children, while the more
general <image> type (or whatever you call it in SVG - <pserver>?) was
for just creating an image (of which one way is to use element() to
select an element that provides a paint source).