Re: Mask property syntax and CSS <image>

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:52:11 -0700
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Cc: Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com>, public-fx@w3.org
On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Firstly, it looks like we'll replace the element() syntax with select() to
>> avoid clashes with CSS Images.[2]
>
> Why? It seems like we want the exact same functionality.

Officially, there's no clash in this usage - if you point to a <mask>,
it's clear that it should be treated as a mask (it doesn't provide a
paint source), and if you point to anything else you can just use
normal element() handling.

However, that's a distinction that may not hold in the future if we
want to combine "pointing to a special element" and "pointing to
something to be used as an image", especially as this kind of thing
spreads out of SVG into general CSS.

So, better to go ahead and split things apart now.  It makes things
slightly clearer, anyway, I think.