Re: Mask property syntax and CSS <image>

From: Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 14:18:55 +0900
To: public-fx@w3.org
Hi,

One further thought based on our discussion of element(). We discussed
that we want to be able to use masks without requiring the <mask>
wrapper, e.g.

   <rect id="rect" ... />
   <path mask="url(#rect)" ... />

I wonder if it's useful to say that, in order to refer to SVG fragments
in this way you must use the element() syntax. i.e. the url() syntax is
only for <mask>s and other SVG elements which we treat specially, rather
than just rendering them to a buffer (like paint servers).

So for the above you'd use:

   <rect id="rect" ... />
   <path mask="element(#rect)" ... />

"mask: url(#rect)" would be invalid. Then we reserve url() + # for
referring to <mask> elements or paint servers. I'm not sure if that's a
helpful restriction or just confusing.

Of course, url(abc.png) is still fine.