Re: Dropping angle-bracket syntax for animation

(2011/08/02 10:24), Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> As such, we should make decisions based on the capabilities of the web
> platform as a whole, rather than considering SVG as an island.
> Viewers will grow or die out.

Thanks Tab, I agree to a certain extent.

My concern is perhaps less with SVG viewers (my mistake) but with SVG
tools in general which I think are also part of the web platform in the
broad sense of the word "platform".

I think we'd all love to see more authoring tools (especially animation
authoring tools!) as well as utilities like SVG scour as I mentioned in
my previous post.

While some features might be reasonable requirements for browsers, let's
make sure they don't present an unnecessary hurdle for tools.

Again, as I mentioned in my previous post, I think we can mandate CSS
support in a way that doesn't raise the barrier to entry too high by
providing an angle-bracket syntax for animations.

Brian

PS- Several years ago I worked for a number of years on a commercial SVG
authoring tool that didn't support CSS because the project scope didn't
stretch to writing a CSS parser (and the company couldn't use 3rd party
code). Fortunately tools like Illustrator provided an option to output
presentational attributes instead of CSS.