Re: Updated filters specification

From: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 07:56:41 -0700
To: Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>
CC: "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de>, "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>, Anthony Grasso <anthony.grasso@cisra.canon.com.au>
On Apr 28, 2011, at 12:28 AM, Erik Dahlstrom wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 06:05:13 +0200, Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 26, 2011, at 8:55 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Erik Dahlstrom
>> <ed@opera.com<mailto:ed@opera.com>> wrote:
>> Deprecating (or dropping) 'enable-background' would essentially mean
>> that BackgroundImage and BackgroundAlpha would always generate a
>> transparent black result in the context of filters (I presume this is
>> what the browsers that don't support enable-background already do, and
>> it follows the error handling that is defined for when there was no
>> "enable-background:new" parent element). Typically that means that
>> things still render without errors but probably not as intended by the
>> author.
>>
>> Why can't we define BackgroundImage and BackgroundAlpha in a way that
>> continues to work in the absence of enable-background? I think we can,
>> even with GPU-accelerated rendering. In the worst case you can detect
>> use of BackgroundImage/BackgroundAlpha and automatically infer the
>> equivalent of enable-background for the ancestor elements.
>>
>> I think it would be difficult to get the exact equivalent of the current
>> behavior because currently, enable-background can be on the element's
>> parent, grand-parent, or any other ancestor.
>>
>> Vincent.
>
> That's true, but in practice I think that most files with
> 'enable-background' has had that attribute set only on the root svg
> element.

Yes. Are you suggesting to then default to having BackgroundImage be the root svg canvas's current, accumulated rendering?

> That accounts for most of the Illustrator files I've seen anyway.
> Btw does Illustrator always add 'enable-background' there, even when it's
> not used by any filters?

I'll have to check on that.

Thanks,
Vincent.