RE: Starter Questions about EXI

>From: public-exi-request@w3.org [mailto:public-exi-request@w3.org] On
>Behalf Of Jeff Schiller
>Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:33 PM
>To: public-exi@w3.org
>Subject: Starter Questions about EXI
>
>Hello,

Hi Jeff - thanks much for your interest and questions.

>I still haven't gone through much of the documentation but I was
hoping
>for some quick answers first:
>
>1) Will there be a encoding type that one can use on web servers (for
>instance in Apache's .htaccess)?  For instance:
>
>AddType image/svg+xml .svge
>AddEncoding exi .svge

Yes, the intention is to establish an encoding type, but the details
are still under discussion/coordination.

>2) I serve a lot of gzip-encoded SVG on my site using html:object like
>this:
>
>    <object type="image/svg+xml"
>
>Would there be a way to wrap another <object> around this to offer the
>EXI-encoded version to browsers that support it?  How could one
achieve
>this?

While I understand the intention, this seems to focus on technical html
specifics, and I'd have to defer to the real experts.  I think this
question should be directed to the HTML Working Group
(http://www.w3.org/html/wg/).

>In other words, what sort of mechanisms can be put in place between
>client and server such that those browsers that might adopt EXI
earlier
>can benefit but non-adopters can still cope?

We also see this as important and have discussed it within in the
group.  We have put some of our thoughts in the first draft of the EXI
Best Practices WN
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-exi-best-practices-20071219/#http-content
-negotiation).  We plan to continue to address this issue more
extensively in subsequent versions of the WN.  Please "stay tuned"...

Thanks again,

--mike