Re: [EXI] Will EXI Learn in Schema informed encoding ?

From: Daniel Peintner <daniel.peintner@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:35:11 +0200
To: santhana@huawei.com
Cc: public-exi@w3.org

Hello Santhanakrishnan,

>     When the schema has wildcarded elements(any) we will add SE(*)
> production to the corresponding grammar. When this event is matched by a
> wildcarded element in the XML instance dont we need to learn the element by
> making an SE(qname) entry for that element in the current grammar ? The
> wildcard schema grammar semantics does not mention about this learning.
>     If we dont need to learn it, what is the reason for the same ?

as you stated correctly, the EXI grammar reflects XML Schema wildcards
by a SE(*) production.

The reason why the specification doesn't mention anything about
learning is simply that in schema-informed mode neither SE nor AT/CH
events are learned.

There are several reasons for that behavior (some listed below):
. schema-informed EXI grammars can be used for multiple XML documents
  without any changes or re-setting to default values
. Learning may mean additional processing overhead and performance slowdown
. EXI compression difference is expected to be marginal
. Running code with built-in EXI grammars could be another use-case

Hope this answers your questions

Regards,

-- Daniel