Re: License and legal concern about the W3C wiki content

On 31/07/2011 21:02, Jeremie Patonnier wrote:
> To resume my position : I think CC BY-BC-SA
> <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/> are a bad license
> for a wiki. The attribution constrain is to hard for such a content,
> especially educational content. USA and UK have legal agreement (such as
> « Fair use ») to not have to worried about it. But France and some other
> countries do not have such an agreement.
>
> To be perfectly clear, I don't care. The spirit behind that content is
> very clear : « Use it to spread the world about Web standards ». It's
> fine with me... but we all know that the Internet is full of jerk. In
> the current legal state, if a single moron make a change on the wiki
> content under CC, he can lock the content down.
>
> Now, to answer Karl, I suggest two things here :
>
>  1. If possible, turn any CC content into a CC0 "Public Domain" content.
>     FWIW I think it's the most appropriate license term for such a content.

+1 - particularly for Wiki having an attribution (BY) requirement gets
messy with multiple authors (unless the attribution was to be made to
W3C and the wiki as a whole entity, rather than individual authors that
made the edits/additions).

Though it'd be great to have NC and SA enforced, it's probably easier
for all involved to waive those as well.

I wouldn't mind it being http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

--
Patrick H. Lauke