(unknown charset) Re: Best Practices in HTML Re: The use of W3C standards in Denmark Part II

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 10 mars 2004, à 05:35, Brian Kelly a écrit :
>
> >    I think it would be useful if W3C could produce a test suite
> > containing a range of errors, which users & developers of checking
> > software would test their programs against.
>
> Yes completely agreed on that. And Olivier Théreaux has started work
> since the begining of the year 2004 on that. It will take a bit of
> time, but it's in the process.

And who is writing a test suite to test Olivier's test suite?

Seriously, while testing never hurts, and more testing usually
increases chances of finding bugs, there is always a point of
diminishing returns. I am [pleasantly] surprised to learn that W3C has
already built all the first-priority testing tools and is now
developing tools to test test suites, including its own validators.

IMHO, a large representative collection of known-to-be-valid and
known-to-be-invalid documents that are related to W3C standards would
indeed be a vary valuable resource for validator authors and beyond. A
test suite to test test suites should be a much lower priority.

Alex.

--
Protocol performance, functionality, and reliability testing.
Tools, services, and know-how.