Re: XHTML 2.0 and Semantics

At 17:09 -0500 2003-01-13, ed nixon wrote:
>Mr. Dubost, Why would you post this profanity riddled piece of
>self-indulgence to a public mailing list?

- About Mark
No profanity at all. The role of W3C is to reach the consensus inside
the WG. The comments of the public must be addressed and the W3C Team
or people inside WG are not in an ivory tower. It's why comments of
the public are always interesting even if they do not please a part
of the community.

I have noticed like you that the tone of Mark Pilgrim was a bit
angry. We are here to have a dialog and a discussion. I will not
adopt the position of the ostrich (put our head in the sand) and
ignore comments even if they are not favorable. The role of W3C is
not to enforce but to find a solution which leads to interoperability.

Evolution means that sometimes you have to drop features and
sometimes you have to keep some. Not so many people know the process
of W3C even if the document is widely accessible. And it's why I have
invited Mark to send his comments to the list.

*Topic Mark Pilgrim closed*

*Topic XHTML open*

in the QA Specification Guidelines (which is a WORKING DRAFT too), we
recommend in the guideline 7. Identify the relation between
deprecated features and conformance.

See http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/2002/12/qaframe-spec-20021220#b2ab3d293

with the following checkpoints

7.1 Identify each deprecated feature. [Priority 1]
7.2 For each class of product, specify the degree of
     support required for each deprecated feature and
     the conformance consequences of the deprecation. [Priority 1]
7.3 Include an explanation for the deprecation. [Priority 3]
7.4 Include examples to illustrate how to avoid
     using deprecated features. [Priority 3]

I will review with my QA and Conformance hat the XHTML 2.0 WD when it
will be close to the Last Call Stage to recommend the HTML WG to
declare every choices like against the QA Spec Guidelines.

I remind to the people that it's really important to send your
reviews and comments to the www-html list if you want to raise your
voice.

PS: you can call me Karl.

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager