Re: Web Standards Evangelist Related Blogs?

From: steph <sniffles@unadorned.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 00:56:52 +1000
To: "Denis Boudreau [ CYBERcodeur.net ]" <denis@cybercodeur.net>
Cc: public-evangelist@w3.org

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 09:56:40AM -0400, Denis Boudreau [ CYBERcodeur.net ] wrote:
> >  >Seems to me, I read your blog in English, too Tristan.  Several times.
> >  >Any of these are readable via a babelfish translation, though the
> >  >automated translation process leaves a bit to be desired. Sometimes the
> >  >translations are a bit humorous, though.
>
> Funny this should be mentionned because no later than last night I was
> having a chat with some friends and I was expressing the idea of generating
> transllation of the content I produce on the fly using some service
> available on the Web. To my understanding, these srervices were actually
> very poor and did a bad job at best... Am I wrong ? have these been
> tremendously improved over time ?

The quality of the translation depends on the content and on the
quality of the the original article. If the article is well-written,
uncomplicated and gramatically correct (with no spelling mistakes), you
can get a very reasonable translation. :) If the content is more poetic,
utilises slang and cultural/language specific quips, then the translator
will only be able to translate these literally, hence the original
meaning might not come through very clearly.

cheers,
-steph,  (who has used translators a lot ...)