Re: Ordering concepts in a Tree display / possibly more than a sort key

Hi,

A bit from classification perspective...The order of foci in an array is
carefully observed and rigorously maintained in classification schemes.
Ranganathan summarised devices used across classification schemes as follows:
- chronological (evolutionary) e.g. systematic botany, zoology
- geographical (e.g. subdivision of art style by place, subdivision of history
by place) -  in faceted classifications this is achieved by using facet of place
- subject device (forming a facet in relation to a specific defined property or
by relation/dependence to a subject e.g. subdivision of visual art by subject,
subdivision of economics by industries)
- alphabetical
- enumeration

Classification schemes combine all of the above devices. The purpose of these
rules is to reduce the size of a schedule (avoiding enumeration) and secure
conformity with respect to canons of consistent sequence, helpful sequence,
mnemonics, hospitality in array, hospitality in chain. Hence the order of ideas
is very carefully determined. We fix this order in schemes in two ways that
always guarantee a logical and systematic (semantic) order mechanically:

(1) through a notational system (as Joe Tennis mentioned earlier), decimal and
expressive notations using letters, numerals and punctuation signs are designed
in such a way that classes will always fall in a desired meaningful order.
Faceted or syntactical expressive notational systems will also handle the
correct ordering of complex coordinated expressions.
For instance, what should be ordered first?:
a  notation expressing /Italian literature-18th century/ or /Italian
literature-poetry-18th century/,
or a notation expressing/Italian literature - poetry - in Switzerland -19th
century/
or /Italian literature - literary criticism/.
There is obviously a sense of hierarchy here and sense of a general to specific
order that has to be preserved.  Rules for ordering of notations are called
'filing rules'. These rules are established and interpreted intellectually and
it is often the case that they cannot be supported by computer programs unless
additionally coded.

However: We cannot rely 100% on notation to order classes, handle hierarchy or
parse facets in all classification schemes or indeed use notation for mechanical
ordering by computer programs - at least not without additional coding. It is
also important not to confuse classification structure with the type of
notational system used in a certain system. Reasons:
Faceted classifications do not always have a 'faceted notation'. A typical
example is Bliss Bibliographic classification (a faceted classification proper)
- not only does it not have a hierarchically expressive or facet expressive
notation but this scheme itself may represent classes as coordinated, when these
are logically subsumed. Bliss notation supports building of complex classes but
once built notation cannot be parsed (i.e. the system is 'synthetic' but not
'analytic') - the advantage of this approach is simpler notational device that
can be ordered mechanically as it does not contain 'syntax symbols'. In
addition,  classifications with otherwise hierarchically expressive decimal
notations (e.g. 531.1 is subclass of 531 and 531 is subclass of 53) may also
occasionally purposefully or entirely accidentally fail to express a concept
hierarchy (examples of these can be found in Dewey, UDC, Colon Classification,
Library of Congress Classifications). One can chose either to have simple
ordering device  i.e. semantically void notation or notation that is expressive
and holds full information of hierarchy and syntax and can be parsed but
requires some input to make it work online. Classification designers often try
to find a middle solution depend of the purpose of the system

(2) in classification management databases for analytico-synthetic systems we
have to  'translate' sequence and filing order rules into something similar to
'sortKey' described by Mike Collett below, because of the fact that notational
expressions using a combination of letters, numerals and punctuation symbols as
facet indicators cannot be correctly sorted automatically by any of the standard
character coding tables.
It is up to individual database management tools to solve this. For instance,
the UDC management system translates notation into special codes that ensure
both: accurate ordering and parsing of UDC complex numbers by programs. For this
we use a set of algorithms handling UDC specific ordering rules. In addition to
this we also maintain a separate hierarchy code which captures BT/NT
relationships as a single sequence (across 68,000 classes) - this help us manage
hierarchical relationships independently from notation. With each annual UDC
update the hierarchy codes are 'refreshed'.
UDC notation 37.015 Special pedagogic sciences - when coded looks as follows
37.q15.-
[This notation consist of two numbers 37 Education and special auxiliary number
.015 Special pedagogic science, .0  transformed into .q is a facet indicator
meaning the the this concept is of a certain kind and can be combined based on a
certain set of rules.

What may be the main issue is that in exchanging or at the user end
classifications the place for sorting, filing or hierarchy codes is not envisaged.

Kind regards

Aida