Re: Ordering concepts in a Tree display

Hi Enzo,

While I certainly agree that ordering OFTEN carries semantics, there are
cases where the order in which the resources are displayed to the user
simply does not. The immediate case for us is replication of the order that
the resources we're displaying appeared in the original unstructured
document (we're expressing structured resources contained in unstructured
textual documents). Sometimes the document order provides information
necessary to the correct understanding of the resources and the relationship
between the resources and sometimes it does not. When it does, we capture
the order. Another case for us is language-specific alphabetizing of all or
portions of a graph, which makes the display more readable for humans, but
conveys no additional meaning to machines consuming the data.

That said, I think the original post regarding 'natural' ordering of
concepts is a case, like yours seems to be, where it's useful to formally
express the meaning of 'natural order' in a way that explicitly states the
knowledge behind the data creator's understanding of the ordered
relationship between concepts (historical period, year invented, etc.) in a
way that can also be used to express that order in a display at a human
endpoint. SKOS was quite intentionally designed to be extended in this way.

I'd also like to observe that discussions like this often take an
understandably RDF-only, triple-store-centric view of data modeling and
management that can make relatively simple problems fiendishly complex. RDF
neatly solves many problems but often too, the data modeling requirements
differ for creation, dissemination, aggregation in an open world, indexing,
and display of metadata, and this can present distinct and often unnecessary
challenges when RDF is the only tool available.

I quite like your paper, by the way, particularly your useful and detailed
description of your methodology in defining post-coordination facets.

Cheers,
Jon

--
Jon

I check email just a couple of times daily; to reach me sooner, click here:
http://awayfind.com/jonphipps