RE: Scientific and common names in SKOS

From: Sini, Margherita (KCEW) <Margherita.Sini@fao.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 22:04:41 +0200
To: Leonard Will <L.Will@willpowerinfo.co.uk>, public-esw-thes@w3.org
Thanks Leonard and to all for the reply.

I think Antoine solution would be better, as i can specify the preferred
terms between all the scientific names (”@en-x-scientific") and the preferred
between the common names (”@en-x-common").
But combining Antoine solution and Stephen solution (adding a cutom attribute
such as fao:type="common") would be event better.

I also like the possibility of creating relationships between terms (such as
expressed with SKOS eXtension for Labels XL) but this seems to me do not
solve the problem for indexing or retrieving pertinent info...

This is very important, because while indexing or retrieving document we
can/should somehow establish the context for the use of the same concept: I
may decide to tag a scientific document with the URI + a tag specifying it is
a scientific document or tag a document about a receipt of a potato with the
same URI + a tag specifying this is a "general audience" document....
I do not want to go back to term indexing, but seems to me that URI for
indexing may not be enough: we may need to attach some other info...

regards
Margherita