Re: [SKOS] the return of transitive and subproperty (was Re: SKOS comment: change of namespace (ISSUE-117))

One other observation which may or may not be accurate from the point of
view of the broader SKOS community.

I've always seen SKOS as being primarily a tool for vocabulary
representation, *not* as a universal semantic reasoning tool.

In other words, the goal of SKOS is to to accurately represent a
thesaurus-like hierarchy in an easily understood manner using a common
XML dialect.

So I think having to do something like this:

 > 1. Declare only the direct broader assertions
 > 3. Compute the transitive closure of broader
 > 4. Compute the minimalBroader for each concept
 > 5. Check if 4. matches 1.

just to establish a parent-child relationship between nodes in the
hierarchy greatly compromises the effectiveness of SKOS as a simple,
expressive, declarative language.

At the moment in SKOS, I can establish the parents and children of a
node by doing a simple XPath test on <skos:broader> and <skos:narrower>.
  I don't want to lose that by reverting <skos:broader> back to a
transitive property.

Regards,

-- Stephen.