Re: Why not a generic skos:label datatype property? Re: Southampton Pub data as linked open data

From: Bernhard Schandl <bernhard.schandl@univie.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:12:22 +0200
Cc: John Goodwin <John.Goodwin@ordnancesurvey.co.uk>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>, public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org, SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>
To: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>

Bernard,

> Just to be sure everyone caught it correctly : there is *no* such
> property as skos:label *so far* in the SKOS vocabulary.
> My proposal is to introduce it in SKOS as a clean, OWL-DL
> conformant, alternative to various hacking of rdfs:label non-
> semantics.

Why not use the already existing skos:prefLabel for this?

Also, the SKOS extension for labelling (XL) may be a good starting
point for this; this vocabulary already allows one to define different
labels and also model relationships between them.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#L4945>

Best, Bernhard

--
Bernhard Schandl