Re: Why not a generic skos:label datatype property? Re: Southampton Pub data as linked open data

From: Bernhard Schandl <bernhard.schandl@univie.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:12:22 +0200
Cc: John Goodwin <John.Goodwin@ordnancesurvey.co.uk>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>, public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org, SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>
To: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>

> Just to be sure everyone caught it correctly : there is *no* such
> property as skos:label *so far* in the SKOS vocabulary.
> My proposal is to introduce it in SKOS as a clean, OWL-DL
> conformant, alternative to various hacking of rdfs:label non-
> semantics.

Why not use the already existing skos:prefLabel for this?

Also, the SKOS extension for labelling (XL) may be a good starting
point for this; this vocabulary already allows one to define different
labels and also model relationships between them.

Best, Bernhard

Bernhard Schandl
University of Vienna
Faculty    of Computer Science
Department of Distributed and Multimedia Systems
web   : http://www.cs.univie.ac.at/bernhard.schandl
phone : +43-1-4277-39621
fax   : +43-1-4277-39649