From: Mitsuharu Nagamori [mailto:nagamori@slis.tsukuba.ac.jp]
Sent: 26 February 2007 07:32
To: Miles, AJ (Alistair)
Subject: Re: SKOS use case

Dear Alistair,

I made an explanation for NDLSH and Japanese Yomi.
Does this make sense for you?

Best,

--- mitsuharu

Miles, AJ (Alistair) wrote:
> Dear Mitsuharu,
>
> Thank you. I am very impressed with the HANAVI system,
congratulations!

> --
> Alistair Miles
> Research Associate
> CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
> Building R1 Room 1.60
> Fermi Avenue
> Chilton
> Didcot
> Oxfordshire OX11 0QX
> United Kingdom
> Web: http://purl.org/net/aliman
> Email: a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk
> Tel: +44 (0)1235 445440

Japanese National Library classification scheme? There is a
questionnaire to fill out at [1] - it is quite long, but you would only
need to fill out section 2.4 with some examples.

>> I believe your use case is very important because it would help us to
solve a number of internationalisation issues.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2006Dec/0036.html
>> --
>> Alistair Miles
>> Research Associate
>> CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
>> Building R1 Room 1.60
>> Fermi Avenue
>> Chilton
>> Didcot
>> Oxfordshire OX11 0QX
>> United Kingdom
>> Web: http://purl.org/net/aliman
>> Email: a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk
>> Tel: +44 (0)1235 445440

Questions marked with an asterix (*) are more important.

Section 0. Contact and confidentiality

Contact e-mail:
  nagamori@slis.tsukuba.ac.jp

Do you mind your use case being made public on the working group website
and documents?

  No, we don't mind.

Section 1. Application

 1.1. What is the title of the application?

  Hybrid and Network-Assisted Vocabulary Interface (HANAVI)

 1.2. What is the general purpose of the application?
     What services does it provide to the end-user?

  To provide information about multiple vocabularies.  Currently,
  the application provides information about the National Diet
  Library List of Subject Headings (NDLSH) in Japan.
  Accessible online at http://raus.slis.tsukuba.ac.jp/.

  [N.B.: the project is not an official plan or project of the National
  Diet Library in Japan.]

*1.3. Provide some examples of the functionality of the application. Try
to illustrate all of the functionalities in which the vocabulary(ies)
and/or vocabulary mappings are involved.

  - searching voacbularies based on textual
  - textually displaying detailed information of a subject heading
  o graphically displaying relationships among subject headings
  o providing definitions of each subject heading written in SKOS

 1.4. What is the architecture of the application?
     What are the main components?
     Are the components and/or the data distributed across a network,
or across the Web?

 1.5. Briefly describe any special strategy involved in the processing
of user actions, e.g. query expansion using the vocabulary structure.

 1.6. Are the functionalities associated with the controlled
vocabulary(ies) integrated in any way with functionalities provided by
other means? (For example, search and browse using a structured
vocabulary might be integrated with free-text searching and/or some sort
of social bookmarking or recommender system.)
kkkk
 1.7. Any additional information, references and/or hyperlinks.

  HANAVI: http://raus.slis.tsukuba.ac.jp/

  NDLSH:  http://www.ndl.go.jp/en/publication/ndl_newsletter/151/511.html

Section 2. Vocabulary(ies)

In this section we ask you to provide some information about the
vocabulary or vocabularies you would like to be able to represent using
SKOS.

Please note:
-- If you have multiple vocabularies to describe, you may repeat this
section for each one individually or you may provide a single
description that encompasses all of your vocabularies.
-- If your use case describes a generic application of one or more
vocabularies and/or vocabulary mappings, you may skip this section.
-- If your vocabulary case contains cross-vocabulary links (between the
vocabularies you presented or to external vocabularies), please fill in
section 3!

 2.1. What is the title of the vocabulary? If you're describing multiple
vocabularies, please provide as many titles as you can.

  The National Diet Library List of Subject Headings (NDLSH)

 2.2. Briefly describe the general characteristics of the vocabulary,
e.g. scope, size...

  The National Diet Library List of Subject Headings (NDLSH) is a list of
  subject headings applied to the catalog of the NDL in Japan.
  All topical headings and some proper name headings are included.
  NDLSH consists of 16879 subject headings as of March 2006.

 2.3. In which language(s) is the vocabulary provided?
     In the case of partial translations, how complete are these?

  Japanese.

*2.4. Please provide below some extracts from the vocabulary. Use the
layout or presentation format that you would normally provide for the
users of the vocabulary. Please ensure that the extracts you provide
illustrate all of the features of the vocabulary.

  see attached please.

 2.5. Describe the structure of the vocabulary.
     What are the main building blocks?
     What types of relationship are used? If you can, provide examples
by referring to the extracts given in paragraph 2.4.

 2.6. Is a machine-readable representation of the vocabulary already
available (e.g. as an XML document)? If so, we would be grateful if you
could provide some example data or point us to a hyperlink.

  Yes.

  e.g.) http://raus.slis.tsukuba.ac.jp/ndlsh/01017771

 2.7. Are any software applications used to create and/or maintain the
vocabulary?
     Are there any features which these software applications currently
lack which are required by your use case?

 2.8. If a database application is used to store and/or manage the
vocabulary, how is the database structured? Illustration by means of
some table sample is welcome.

 2.9. Were any published standards, textbooks or written guidelines
followed during the design and construction of the vocabulary?
     Did you decide to diverge from their recommendations in any way,
and if so, how and why?

 2.10. How are changes to the vocabulary managed?

 2.11. Any additional information, references and/or hyperlinks.

Section 3. Vocabulary Mappings

In this section we ask you to provide some information about the
mappings or links between vocabularies you would like to be able to
represent using SKOS.

Please note:
-- If your use case does not involve vocabulary mappings or links, you
may skip this section!

 3.1. Which vocabularies are you linking/mapping from/to?

*3.2. Please provide below some extracts from the mappings or links
between the vocabularies. Use the layout or presentation format that you
would normally provide for the users of the mappings. Please ensure that
the examples you provide illustrate all of the different types of
mapping or link.

 3.3. Describe the different types of mapping used, with reference to
the examples given in paragraph 3.2.

 3.4. Any additional information, references and/or hyperlinks.